Career growth is a continuous process requiring dedication, learning, and evaluation of professional aspirations. Some individuals are content with standard occupational roles, while others pursue career advancements. For those seeking to grow in their profession, a few simple strategies can be the key to excelling in your career.
7 TIPS TO EXCEL IN YOUR CAREER
- Organize your workflow:Work is more efficient when you know where things are when you need them. Scrambling through stacks of papers in search of important documents takes time and energy. Rather, organize files to best accommodate your workflow. For instance, have designated folders for urgent tasks, important documents, and pending orders. Other ways to organize workflow include color-coding, having an agenda or calendar, and designated areas for specific work tasks.
- Take inventory of things that no longer serve you. Is something impending your career growth? For instance, the fear of going back to school later in life, or the influence of people who discourage your potential. Consider factors that hinder professional progress, and find creative strategies to move forward with your goals.
- Define short-term & long-term goals. At times it can be challenging to accomplish occupational leaps. The key is to create both short-term and long-term goals. Short-term goals can be established for weeks or months, and long-term goals for years. Re-evaluate goals as needed and remain flexible to changes.
- Participate in online courses and webinars. Staying current with the latest advances is essential. It also demonstrates interest and knowledge in your field.
- Network with other professionals. Receiving input from other professionals in your work industry provides opportunities for learning, insightful information, and business connections.
- Be open to new possibilities. Some professions offer different work opportunities. For instance, most consider nursing as a bedside job when in fact nurses also take on roles as health educators, managers, and legal consultants. Researching various job options may open new opportunities you never imagined.
- Give it your best. Doing your best is a recipe for career success! Bob Cousy says,“Do your best when no one is looking. If you do that, then you can be successful in anything that you put your mind to.”